The NFPA Certified Emergency Power Systems Specialist (CEPSS) for Facility Managers program was created in 2016 after extensive market research was conducted with facility managers from a wide range of industries.
The research indicated a strong desire to have a credential that highlights their knowledge of the many challenges associated with emergency and standby power, as well as stored electrical energy emergency and standby power systems, and how to keep their facilities in compliance with the 2016 editions of NFPA 110, Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems, and NFPA 111, Standard on Stored Electrical Energy Emergency and Standby Power Systems.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence with both emergency and standby power and stored electrical energy emergency and standby power systems
- Ensure proficiency in the use of NFPA 110 and NFPA 111
- Enhance professionalism
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new Certification Management System to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. Currently, only new applications and retest applications are being processed on this system. We have a separate interim process for recertifications. We apologize for any inconvenience. Updates will be posted here, so check back frequently. Thank you for your patience during this change.
How to apply
- Download the candidate handbook (PDF), familiarize yourself with the program, and determine if you are eligible
- Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application portal.
- Enter the application portal via the Apply now button below
- Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to complete the application, upload any required documentation, and pay.
- Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your eligibility number, and instructions on how to schedule your exam.
How to retest
If you originally applied before 5/16/22, click the “retest” button below, and follow the directions on the downloadable PDF. If you originally applied on or after 5/18/22, sign in to your nfpa.org profile, and complete the retest application in the new certification management system.
How to recertify
Download the 3-year recertification form (PDF), and follow the instructions.
- Initial Application/exam - $399
- Retest Exam – $199
- Recertification - $180
Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert; Gain confidence in your abilities; Improve your job performance; Position yourself for career advancement; Certificate holders also receive a CEPSS certificate.
Find a test center near you
To locate a computer-based testing center near you, visit the test center website.
The exam is based on the 2016 editions of NFPA 110, Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems, and NFPA 111, Standard on Stored Electrical Energy Emergency and Standby Power Systems. It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain these reference sources for study purposes and to have present during the examination. They are the only reference sources allowed in the examination room. If you would like to purchase these NFPA documents, please go to NFPA's online catalog.
NFPA Admin & Support Services
11 Tracy Drive
Avon, MA. 02322