May 24, 2021 – Registration for 2021 NFPA Business Meeting voting and NFPA Technical Meeting debate and voting is now open. For the second year in a row, these meetings will be held in an electronic format due to the coronavirus pandemic. These are two separate events. The Business Meeting will include the annual state of the association remarks from NFPA President and CEO Jim Pauley and NFPA Board of Directors Chair Amy Acton, as well as the presentation and voting for the Board of Directors slate of candidates. The Technical Session is where discussion and voting occur on standards up for debate.
- Voting for the Board of Directors slate of candidates begins on June 21, 2021 and will run through June 23, 2021 at 5:00 pm (EST).
- Voting will be open to NFPA members who have been members for the required 180-day period.
- Register to vote here.
- The NFPA Board of Directors, at the recommendation of the Standards Council, has approved Temporary NFPA Technical Meeting Convention Rules for 2021. The meeting allows NFPA members and the public to express positions on all Certified Amending Motions (CAMs) as approved by and included in the Report of the Motions Committee and Agenda that are posted effective today.
- Electronic debate opens on June 14, 2021 and will close on June 25, 2021 at 8:00pm (EST). The electronic debate is open to all NFPA members and non-members. There is no need to register to participate in the debate.
- As at all Technical Meetings, each relevant technical committee, correlating committee, and authorized maker of a CAM may provide a position statement, which can be reviewed on the tech session site prior to the start of debate.
- Voting for CAMs opens on June 28, 2021 and closes on July 2, 2021 at 8:00 pm EST. Only those that have met the 180-day NFPA membership eligibility requirement and who have registered are eligible to vote for the CAMs.
- Once registered to vote, NFPA members will receive instructions on downloading the designated Technical Meeting app, as well as information on how to electronically vote.
- To participate in this year’s event or for answers to questions, visit nfpa.org/2021techsession
During the Technical Meeting, NFPA members and the public are encouraged to participate in the debate on each CAM by submitting position statements and acknowledging the name and date stamp being supported or countered. All submitted position statements will be posted in a daily report as the debate continues. All participants will be prompted to use an existing NFPA profile or create a profile before submitting position statements.
The standards that have CAMs and that will be subject to debate during this year’s Technical Meeting are:
On or around July 6, NFPA will publicly post all results at nfpa.org/2021techsession. Any successful CAMs will be forwarded to the responsible committee(s) for ballot (if applicable) and in accordance with the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
For this release and other announcements about NFPA initiatives, research, and resources, please visit the NFPA press room.
NFPA®: 125 Years of Protecting People and Property
The National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®) is a global self-funded nonprofit organization devoted to eliminating death, injury, property, and economic loss due to fire, electrical, and related hazards. The association began its work to solve the fire problem in a young, industrialized nation in 1896 and is recognized around the globe as a leader in advocating for safety. NFPA delivers information and knowledge through more than 325 consensus codes and standards, research, training, education, outreach, and advocacy; and by partnering with others who share an interest in furthering the NFPA mission. In celebration of its 125th Anniversary, NFPA will be hosting a Conference Series and other initiatives that reflect the steadfast commitment to advancing fire and life safety by the association for the next 125 years and beyond. For more information or to view NFPA codes and standards for free, visit www.nfpa.org.
Contact: Lorraine Carli, Public Affairs Office: +1 617 984-7275