NFPA congratulates Maria Bostian of the Kannapolis Fire Department who has been selected as the 2020 Fire and Life Safety Educator of the Year. Bostian has 21 years of experience delivering fire and life safety to her community through presentations to varied audiences, a robust Fire Prevention Week campaign, and an ongoing social media initiative. NFPA materials and resources serve as the backdrop to all she does.
Bostian’s primary role in the department is to serve as educator to their district’s preschool and elementary students; because of her efforts, a great working relationship has been established. Bostian reaches nearly 4,000 children with fire safety every month during the school year. Using her experience as a former Montessori elementary teacher, Bostian incorporates movement and hands-on activities into NFPA’s Learn Not to Burn® lessons to connect with and motivate students.
When Bostian isn’t on duty at Kannapolis Fire Department, she can be found promoting fire safety through the two children’s picture books that she has authored, connecting vital safety messaging from NFPA’s Educational Messaging Advisory Council’s Desk Reference.
In addition, Bostian regularly reaches older adults in her community with the Remembering When® Program, including those home-bound with special “Birthday Boxes” that are filled with personal items, including NFPA’s safety tip sheets, and smoke alarms are installed where needed. Bostian’s fire safety even reaches her community’s four-legged furry friends as she teams up each year with a local pet supply store July 15 for Pet Fire Safety Day!
- 2019 - Barry Brickey, Kingsport, TN
- 2018 - Denise Hynes, Toronto, Ontario
- 2017 - Chief Dolly Hulin, Thomasville, NC
- 2016 - Sherrie Leeka, Westminster, CO
- 2015 - Lt. Annmarie Pickett, Worcester, MA
- 2014 - Samantha Hoffmann, Barrie, ON
- 2013 - Tracy Koslowski, Tuscon, AZ
- 2012 - Marsha Giesler, Downers Grove, IL
- 2011 - Maria Pelchar, Holyoke, MA
- 2010 - Beverly Thompson, Tucker, GA
- 2009 - Dayna Hilton, Clarksville, AR
- 2008 - Dawn Cull, Harrisonburg, VA
- 2007 - Vanita Krouch and Jeff Malkowski, Farmers Branch, TX
- 2006 - Tina Dotson, Asheville, NC
- 2005 - Tracy Sparks, Shelby, NC
- 2004 - Amy Hein, Glenwood, IL
- 2003 - Rae McMullen, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- 2002 - Michele Clayton, San Pedro, CA
- 2001 - Connie Rowden, Roseville, CA
- 2000 - Michael Jordan, Troutdale, OR